Healing by Mudras is an ancient practice with spiritual seekers in eastern cultures like India and China. The saints and yogis in the ancient times used Mudras to empower them spiritually, to maintain their mind and body balance and to be physically healthy. Mudras are about hand-body, hand-fingers positioning. The human hand and its five fingers are representations of various things. The five fingers represent five elements namely fire, earth, water, wind and space. From yet another perspective the fingers also represent different emotions, various body systems, body parts or body organs. Fingers and Mounds on the hand represent planets and characteristics of an individualʼs personality. The hands and fingers, thus, are an important areas for receiving treatment in various ancient techniques such as Accupressure and Accupuncture.
Healing by Mudras is one of the techniques which uses mind and body consciousness. Different schools of thoughts have various versions of finger’s representing a particular element or part of the body. One must avoid confusion and should adhere to any particular version that they may want to choose. The beauty of this healing technique is that no matter how many different versions one may come across , the technique is still effective. This is because Mind plays a vital role in any healing process. The .Miracles’ do occur and You yourself are the creator of any miracle. To achieve these miracles , one has to go into his own private space, into his own energy system and consciousness. As you go into your SELF, you can feel the flood of healing energy flowing through your being. This will only happen when your mind is focussed on the final goal that you want to achieve. The clarity about your goal is the first step in achieving that goal and it is of immense importance that you must be very clear what you want to achieve. It is no doubt a long and a very subtle process and must be done with persistance and patience. All inner journeys are much more profound, more significant and certainly more lasting than anything external. You must have Faith when you work with soul and your persistance will pay. You yourself will create miraculous results.
Since there are numerous mudras, one must keep the notes ready and practice the relevant mudras as and when required. Certain mudras can be practiced as daily routine to keep mind and body healthy and spirits high. Body heals and maintains itself and it is in .YOUR HAND’!
HOW TO PRACTICE MUDRAS— SOME GENERAL TIPS Adopt the following procedure as far as possible to achieve results.
1. Have Faith and be positive that you are getting well and getting healed completely.
2. Have a holistic approach. Be free of any doubt.
3. Wash your hands and placing them in front of your navel, rub them together against each other. This will charge your hands.
4. Draw the holy symbols of any faith that you follow, such as Om, Shalom, Ekomkaar, 786 or Bismillah. ( Reiki practitioners can use and draw symbol 1, 2, 1 on both hands before starting. You may use any other healing symbols of your choice).
5. The touch between the fingers or hands should be soft, just touching, do not put any pressure. You might feel the flow of energy at that touch point, a feeling of warmth, a throbbing sensation.
6. The hand and body should be relaxed completely and you must start visualising that your body is being healed and your body is being completely relieved of any discomfort or pain.
7. Do not exert too much or over do it. In case you feel discomfort , discontinue immediately.
8. Practice in a pleasant mood and with positive thoughts.
9. Try to practice the mudras daily preferably at the same time. The most appropriate and convenient time can be just before going to bed and as soon as you get up in the morning.
10.As a general rule, practicing Mudras for about 15 minutes three times a day is advisable.
11.Certain mudras can be practiced while walking provided one is relaxed and can concentrate while walking..
12.Discontinue the practice on complete healing. However Holistic, Spiritual and Cleansing Maintenance can be done on a daily basis.
13.Breathing patterns for every mudra has been specified and these should be adhered to. However as a general rule, the breathing should be relaxed before commencing any mudra and for this take three long breaths, deep inhalation and extended exhalation. This will calm the body and the mind.
14. There is no harm if you exceed the time limit as specified for a particular mudra, but it is advisable to comply with the time limit.
15. Some individuals may get the results very soon, but they must still practice the mudra for a few days to completely relieve themselves of the ailment.
16.In certain cases, however, the effect is slow and the body recovers only after a prolonged practice. In such cases regularity, persistance and patience is necessary.
17.Always have an Attitude of Gratitude which means that you must thank yourself and the Universal system that heals you. The body has been designed divinely to heal, maintain and sustain itself. A perfect proof of this is that a fractured bone gets joined by itself, the orthopedic only aligns it by plaster or screws.
18.Recite or Chant any Mantra that you are comfortable with or whatever is mentioned in the Mudra instructions.
19.Pray to the Universal Source of Energy, or God and enjoy the Universal phenomenon.
Following are the Mudras which help in treating Arthritis and Gout.
For: Effective for balancing energy in the joints.
How to do: Tips of the thumb and ring finger of the right hand touching, other fingers relaxed and extended. Tips of the middle finger and thumb of the left hand touching, other fingers extended relaxed.
Time: For 15 minutes 4 times a day.
For: Effective against rheumatism.
How to do: The little finger of the left hand touching ring finger of the right hand, and little finger of the right hand touching ring finger of the left hand. The middle finger of the left hand touching the index finger of the right hand and middle finger of the right hand touching the index finger of the left. The touch must be soft with both hands upwards, thumbs extended and relaxed.
Time: 15 minutes, 3 times a day.
For: Vayu( wind, gas) related problems. Flatulence, gastric discomfort, Sciatica, knee pain, arthritis, spondylitis.
How to do: Bend and lightly press the index finger under the thumb of both the hands. All the other fingers relaxed and extended.
Duration: 15 minutes, 3 times a day or whenever needed for immediate results
For: Strengthening the bones, releasing the locking jaws on yawning. Healing heart and ear ailments.
How to do: Touch the tips of the middle finger and the thumb of both hands. All other fingers relaxed and extended. This mudra should be practiced only when there is a condition and for limited time.
Duration: Few minutes till relief is felt.
For: In a higher energy level, while healing someone, this is used for laser beam energy transfer to any body part of organ. This mudra is widely used while giving healing with Reiki.
How to do: Place the four fingers and thumbʼs tips together while extended with both hands, cupping the hands as if making a cone. Direct the cone vertex to the part requiring energy. Soft touch of the cone will rejuvenate the body part that is being healed. While using this mudra, its important that the healer imagines the flow of energy.
Time: For 5 minutes, 5 times a day.